Saturday, November 12, 2005

Glad Rags?!?!?!

This weekend I'm trying to play catch-up with my assigned readings from last week AND this week. With about 30 chapters to read, it can get pretty mundane, boring, and just plain insane. After a few hours of reading, my mind drifts...where's Murry...what's for lunch...vacuum the stairs...what to blog about... Soon, I find myself just reading words and not really understanding the content. Know what I mean?

And then there are interesting chapters and in the medical and nursing arenas, there are plenty of them. There are diseases that are tragic and amusing. Symptoms that are unusual and disgusting. I have a story for each part of the body. If I could only tell you what my eyes have seen!!!! If I did, I'd get sued.

So, I'm reading Chapter 185 (out of268) and we're learning GYN disorders. Don't worry, I didn't scan any pictures. I'm reading about vulvar and vaginal disorders specifically...if you need me to explain this part of the body...just 'Google' it.

Just when I thought the material was getting boring, I read Box 185-1 entitled 'Patient Education and Resources'. This is a handy piece of information within each chapter because it tells what we as practitioners should be teaching our patients about their condition, disease, and management. It's kinda like Martha Stewart's "Good Things", but only about your body.

Read this "Good Thing" about vulvodynia...there were a few items that I found amusing. I'd rather be dead than tell my patients some of these helpful hints. They'd think I was crazy! And if you happen to go to the medical office and find your practitioner telling you these things, you know that they weren't making it up or they aren't just plain perverted.

All I can say is...spray bottles? Skirts? All-cotton panels? Vegtable oil? Glad Rags? Old underwear? Support groups? (Click TWICE on the picture to enlarge it)

Anyways, I will LOVE being a nurse practitioner because not only do I get to see patients, diagnose their complaints, and write prescriptions, but I get to educate them. It's the core of nursing...patient education...health promotion and disease prevention.

1 Comments:

Blogger Kamran Ahmad, CISSP said...

For once I have nothing to comment on... I've lost all purpose now, thanks for that.

2:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home