Tuesday, October 18, 2005

A Tribute: Oh, How I Will Miss Thee...

It's officially gone...a long time companion has disappeared forever. "The search and recovery mission is now over and the recovery process (that's me) must now begin. " After nearly 10 years, my mechanical pencil is gone...lost somewhere under a couch, bed, or between someone's couch cushions. Or even worse, laying on a cold street...alone and waiting to be crushed to death by a car.

This was pre-Hassan times when I found this mechanical pencil all alone and leadless. It was laying on a study table at UMBC's library. On that fortunate day, I walked by the table and spotted it. I claimed it as my own. I cared for it and brought it back to life...filled it with 0.7mm lead refills and a brand new unblemished eraser.

Who would have thought this pencil would have lasted this long?

It saw me through my years at UMBC...through anatomy tests, chem labs, and rough drafts in English class. In nursing school, it scribbled notes furiously on notebook paper. After graduating, I was sad because there would be no use for mechanical pencils in the hospital. But then it found it's last home in my DayRunner planner (that I've had since 5th grade).

Stored perfectly in my planner, my mechanical pencil now had the important job of penciling-in my work schedule, appointments, phone numbers, and addresses. It helped me plan my wedding (plenty of erasing during those months!), deadlines for my application to grad school and scholarships, and remembering birthdays. It's traveled with me everywhere...Mexico, California, Boston, Florida, New York, North Carolina, and abroad!

Anyways, the loss of my mechanical pencil will always be with me. I went to the grocery store today and purchased a set of new mechanical pencils in a 3 pack. What a shame...they are 3 of a kind, yet my original mechanical penci to me was one of a kind. Dated 10 years back and without the "frills" of comfortable writing. No 'suped up pencils back then. No gel-comfort pad to prevent calluses or florescent colors like "hot-pink" or "electric-blue" to draw my attention. It was a perfect pencil just for me!

It's been gone for 4 days and no luck...I can't help but think Murry must have pushed it in a location that he only knows. How tragic...maybe I'll look under the couch just one more time...

4 Comments:

Blogger Christina said...

I never thought about it from the other POV...it's supposed to be about ME! The story starts and end with ME! Sorry..I've now entered the "anger" stage in the loss of a loved one. Denial was just too short for a lovely pencil like that.

8:32 PM  
Blogger ZZ said...

Uh Oh Showeib - I think you made the "Fists of Fury" come out.

By the way Christina - didn't you get like a billion mechanical pencils from that convention you went to?? I'm sure they could compensate for the one you lost :)

12:05 PM  
Blogger Kamran Ahmad, CISSP said...

I feel your pain chica. I once lost a plastic chopstick I used as a back scratcher. Yes, disgusting I know but I never ate with it. I had it since I was 15, then one day someone borrowed it to tie their hair. I've never seen it since.

2:11 PM  
Blogger Aisha said...

*aisha stops and pauses for a moment of silence on behalf of mechanical pencil* I'm so sorry for your loss. May time heal your wounds! :-(

9:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home