Thursday, September 01, 2005

Part 2: "I thought I recognized you!"

Ready for Part II? I don't think it's as nearly as embarrassing, but Has could say differently. This is his favorite story because it happened in his very presence and as soon as we were alone, he made a point to talk about it all night long! HUMPHHH!

We were at our annual neighborhood "block party" (remember those days?). Odd-numbered houses brought dessert and even-numbered houses brought appetizers. I was SO excited to be apart of this year's block party because last year, we moved in after the block party was held. I even requested to have that Saturday off from work...what a nerd!

Anyways, with my freshly-fried lumpias (Filipino eggrolls) in hand, I dragged Has out of the house to meet the other neighbors who were gathering in the common area behind our house. "Can't you just go?" he whined. MEN!

The food and drinks were under a large white canopy. We are a pretty young community...young couples without kids, only dogs and cats to worry about. Has calls us "DINKS" for Double-Income-No-Kids.

Kids were screaming and jumping in the "Moon Bounce" as we joined a group of neighbors in a conversation about moldy showers and soggy yards. One CrAzY showed up with her pet ferret on her shoulder. (What tha FREAK?!?!?!?!?!) That was disgusting as I was trying to eat my lumpia. It was crawling all over her neck and head like it was a gymnast on the uneven bars.

By the way, my lumpia was a hit!

We meet this guy who coincidentally made an offer on our house when it was still on the market. "You guys live in the house with the purple and brown basement, right?" (Sounds hideous, but the colors worked out nicely as you can see!) Then, his wife shows up and he introduces us to her. He told us that his wife is also a nurse and works in Maryland.

"I thought I recognized you!" I blurted out. Damn, those famous cursed words! As a fellow nurse, I thought I saw her somewhere within the walls of University of Maryland Medical Center. "What department do you work in?" I pressed.

"In the ER, " she answered uncertainly. "The ER at Northwest Hospital. " I felt the lumpia in my throat. "Oh! You just looked so familiar to me!" (Damn them again!) I assumed she worked "at" Maryland, not just "in" the state of Maryland.

I tried to play it off, but it was too late because from the corner of my eye, I saw Has with this mischevious smile on his face. I knew I was in for some major teasing once we were back in the house!

"Drag me to that block party...I'm gonna get you back!!!" his eyes said to me.

4 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

You are sooo freakin' hillarious! Not to mention a great writer. :)

12:39 AM  
Blogger ZZ said...

That was such a funny story. I can just imagine the look on Hassan's face!!!

7:24 AM  
Blogger Aisha said...

LOL!!! :) You're so funny. You know I was waiting to get a transaction at the bank today and was in line of someone orking wwho sounded like "Mr. Lanky" I thought of you... :)

9:59 AM  
Blogger Kamran Ahmad, CISSP said...

We read this out loud to the in-laws. One of the girls suggested you submit this to Reader's Digest. I'd have to agree.

1:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home