Saturday, February 18, 2006

The Big Two-Eight

Unbelievable. Today is my birthday for the 28th year in a row. The years seem to come and go faster every year and I cannot stop it! Usually on the week of my birthday I feel as if I'm on a holiday week...an extra serving of dessert, a splurge in the mall, an extra hour of sleep, etc. (And yes, it's 'My Little Pony')

This year, this "holiday week" has been an interesting one. I've been thinking about the past and a WHOLE lot about the future. It makes me anxious to think about where I've come from and where I'm headed.

Announcements to my 10 year high-school reunion (Go, Trojans!) have already begun to surface in the local papers. I always thought I'd be the first one to buy tickets to my reunion. However, the past has now caught up to me and now I'm hesistant to attend all together. To some, 10 years is not enough time to create and live a life. For others, 10 years is enough time to create a whole family! Seeing old classmates at the reunion will be like a slap in the face for me. My age will catch up to me when I see how much my classmates have changed. Some may be balding, others graying, some fatter, and others skinnier. I'm scared to see wrinkles in other people's faces or perhaps what a true "28 year-old" should look like.

Reliving the past. Has calls me crazy because I remember the strangest things about people, places, conversations, and events. But, those who know me best know that I LOVE to revisit memories about the 1980s. Way before "I Love the 80s" aired on VH1, I LOVED to revisit the cartoons, fads, and toys of the 80s. I'd spend hours in the dining hall at UMBC talking about "Silverhawks" or "Transformers" trying to see if anyone remembered just as much as I have. Since then, I haven't stopped since. With the advent of the internet and eBay, I have been able to read, see, and hear old television shows and toys.

I don't know why I do it. Maybe I'm one "energon cube" away from attending Star Trek conventions or perhaps I truly enjoyed this part of my life. Or maybe I'm afraid of forgetting about my childhood and have nothing left but my "adulthood" memories. Who wants only that?!?!? I feel that it keeps me young and the gears in my aging brain turning. Revisiting my past memories keep things fresh. Talking to others about the 80s helps me remember the things that I have forgotten. It's the little details like, "What was the name of Huey, Duey, and Luey's nanny in 'DuckTales'?" (Shout out, Kamran!) that cause a lightbulb to turn on in my head. If I forget about these details and never care to revisit them, then my memories as a child are gone-FOREVER.

So in reaction to this week, I have requested that the following DVDs be sent to my home via Netflix:

1) Labyrinth: I just finished this movie with David Bowie and a young Jennifer Conneley. I never thought David Bowie was indimidating as the "Goblin King" or even "Dance, Magic, Dance" attractive. I also forgot about those biting fairies!



2) Rainbow Brite and the Star Stealer: I can't wait for this to come...what I remember most is her her cool rainbow belt and how she fed it star sprinkles!
3) Return to Oz: I remember a crazy Dorothy in an insane asylum and a headless witch who chose a "head" like it was a hat.


4) Legend:
A young Tom Cruise in a magical land where fairy dust and pollen floated everywhere...at true asthmatic's nightmare.
5) The Care Bears Movie: "Care Bears Stare! Five, four, three, two, one!"
6) The Dark Crystal: Can't recall much...mouse-like people, Jim Henson puppet movie.
7) The Secret of N-I-H-M: Can't recall much either except a homely mouse is reluctant to go a quest.


8) The Last Unicorn:
I actually bought this on VHS (remember those?!?!) when I was in college.
9) Transformers: The Movie: A true "classic" and Optimus will forever be alive in my heart.

To make things worse, I have also joined the "RetroJunk.com" crew where I can now rehash about everything 80s. I know, I know...I'm a freak, but now I can join others who share my obsession!.

As for the uncertain future, I am preparing for the nurse practitioner board exam in March. Will I pass? I have no idea. Once it happens, I can stop working as a nurse in the PICU and work as an NP "somewhere".

30 years is the beginning of the third decade of life. I am only 2 years away from this milestone. My mom assures me that this does not mean anything, but I have surpassed her age when she first became my mother. Just another thing I've been thinking about a little bit more everyday...

8 Comments:

Blogger ZZ said...

Happy Birthday Christina!!! I use to love Labryinth and the Secret of the Nimh as a kid - I think I might add those to my netflix as well!!!!

10:48 PM  
Blogger Kamran Ahmad, CISSP said...

Happy Bday Chris! Geez girl, how come you like all the stuff I like? It's just not natural. Your movie collection rocks! I have Labrinthe and Dark Crystal in my collection. Netflix also has Thundercats and He-Man so I'm gonna get those too. Have you seen "40 year old virgin" yet? It's a bit dirty but funny. The main guy has the apartment I always wanted, filled with toys from the 80's.

7:44 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

HAHA...I did see that movie and it made me wish I had saved all my toys...in the original package, of course!

I don't know why I'm such a freak about reliving the 80s toys and shows...I think it's from growing up with 2 brothers and not to mention watching too much tv in our "latchkey" children days.

Joining retro junk has added fuel to the fire. I'm obsessed with retrojunk.com...I have to control how many posts I make...Otherwise I'll monopolize the whole site!

2:03 AM  
Blogger Kamran Ahmad, CISSP said...

Trapperkeepers! Yes! How many of those did I go through when I was a kid? What year do you think that movie was set in? Nobody I know can answer that.

3:23 PM  
Blogger Kamran Ahmad, CISSP said...

That's my friend Shawn btw, we talk about this stuff ALL the time. We should start a group or something.

3:42 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

I think Napoleon Dynamite had to occur maybe 1985? I have no proof, though. Has and I re-watched the first 15 minutes the other day. There were so many funny lines! I think he's just a funny and random character...unicorns? Wolverines? HAHA!!!!!

I remember Trapper Keepers...they came in all different colors and crazy designs. What was really funny was when the teacher asked you to take out your homework, the classroom would be filled with the sounds of velcro!

Transformers: The Movie-you don't understand how hard I had to look for it back in 1990-91...on VHS! Even before they came out again...I called every video store out there looking for it. Finally when I found it, my dad copied it for me (sorry, FBI warning) and the quality was awful. So now I'm excited that it'll be here in a few weeks! Oh yeah...I downloaded "You Got the Touch" song from the movie and burned it into a CD a couple years ago. It's still in my car.

9:19 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

As for starting a group...I'm in! You should see me in the forums at RetroJunk.com...I've started about 4 topics and have commented on TONS of other conversations. It's crazy! But I'm glad that there are other people out there too!

9:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HAPPPPY BIRTHDAY AMIGA!!! So, sorry I am late. ...


I FORGOT my password for blogspot! :-O ...

~Sarah

5:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home